On Monday Elder tried to be kind and not turn the lights on in the bedroom, at about 4:00am, because I had had a hard time getting any sleep, and was finally sleeping well when he got up. I did get up just before he left, and said good bye. He was taking Elder Kyle and the Sisters hiking to a waterfall. As he picked up Elder Kyle, he was wearing flip-flops, so Elder asked if he also brought hiking shoes, “no, these should work”. Elder told him well, I may be wearing flip flops but I did bring my tennis shoes for the hike, because he has seen photos, and it looked like a hard 4 kilometer hike into the falls. The Sisters also came out of their house in flipflops and he commented to them also, but left it at that. After picking up the hiking missionaries they went to the church so they could email, and get their weekly letter to Pres. Donald complete, they left the church at about 7 and got to the starting point for the hike at 9 (two pit stops, and a couple thought they would just die if we didn’t stopped for breakfast). Well we got our guide paid for and Elder had grabbed his tennis shoes out of the daypack to put on for the hike, and he saw that the sisters had already changed into tennis shoes for the hike, okay so he felt better about this now, right up until he saw that in the dark bedroom, he had grabbed one of his shoes and one of my shoes, oh he was not all that happy about that mistake. He even called me to let me know I shouldn't keep my shoes near his. The falls were beautiful, with the falls being white, and the pool they fell into being turquoise, the water was quite cold in the pool. I stayed home because I knew my back would hurt terribly if I went. I got to do laundry and other fun P-day things.
On the way to the waterwall
The mismatched shoes
Sister Edwards, she wanted to go before she was transferred on Wednesday.
Elder Tucker at the falls
Elder Tucker and Elder Kyle
Elder Kyle, Sister Mintono and Sister Edwards washing off some of the mud.
On Tuesday we had District meeting. Elder told Mei that Hong Kong wanted some additional information for her mission paperwork. So she needed to see if she had some reports for blood work, and a new photo, and whether she is O positive or negative. We went with the Elders to visit with the Telambunua family this afternoon. One of their first comments, when the Elders visited with them about churches, was that preachers are just out for the member’s money, Elder Kyle thought they would struggle the most with the concept of Tithing but they seemed to handle the concept well, and agreed that they wanted to live the law when they are baptized, they also had a lot of good questions about the organization of the church. We dropped off Elders computer to get it repaired, the LCD needed to be replaced. I went with Elder Kyle and Hendro to visit Sister Susana this evening, and Elder stayed at the apartment so he could help Mei pull together some additional information for her medical portion of her missionary application.
On Wednesday Elder took Elder Wills and Martoyo to go visit a friend of Bro. Nefi. A family of very humble means, and a long trip for them to attend church. For employment he has a becak, powered by bicycle, most now use motorcycles for their becak. I stayed at home with Sister Mintono because her companion had left that morning for her transfer and the new Sister wouldn't come in until 5pm. Sister Mintono and I did have Elder drop us off at the hospital so we could check on prices for Sari's mission shots. Then we walked home. We then all headed for the airport to pick up Sister Husibuan.
Thursday morning we took Mei to Columbia Aisa hospital to get her blood typed and then took a photo of the report at the hospital and got it off to Pres. Donald, so her application could be transmitted from Hong Kong to SLC before the Thursday deadline. Then Bro. Manalu and Elder went to the Telambanua family, who is investigating, to see if there was anything we could do to repair the engine on his compressor, for his motorcycle washing business, it has been broken on and off for a week or so now. He cannot afford to not have income for very long. He did learn one important thing, he was only using one liter of oil, and should have been using 2 to 3 liters of oil, so that is why he burned the race, and the oil pump stopped working. When Elder got home I went to deliver Sari her keyboard, and we dropped Elder off to pickup his computer which had been repaired and he walked home to wait for the air conditioning repair man. Got an email from Pres. Donald, letting me know they were changing the Branch Presidency. Also he asked Elder if he would take Elder Hendro to the Airport so he could fly to Jakarta and replace the identification documents that were stolen with his backpack. Then wait for a couple of hours for Pres. Donald, and Elder Kusumarmanto, who are flying in tomorrow. Elder Kyle called to ask how much the parts for the compressor cost, because Bro Telambunua wants to be able to pay me back.
So Friday Elder did as asked and took Elder Hendro to the airport at 5am, then waited until a little after 9 for Presidents Donald and Kusumarmanto. Elder came and picked me up and then we went back to get them, and go to the church building. After a while we got a call that they wanted to come finish fixing the A/C so I came home and waited for the A/C repairman. When they were finished I went back to the church. They conducted a couple of interviews, and in the evening we went to the Nainggolan family home and visited with the family while we waited for Brother Nainggolan to get home from work. He got home a little before 7, and we continued to visit for a while, then the rest of the family, and Elder Tucker and I left Pres Donald and Kusumarmanto to visit and have an interview with Bro. Nainggolan. Elder Tucker and I went across the "gang" to the Telambanua family's home (the new members). By definition a gang is a little more than a walking path, in this case you can walk across the gang in 3 steps, from front door to front door. So we visited with them for about 40 minutes, and then Pres Donald and Kusumarmanto joined us there, and we visited for another 10 to 15 minutes with them. Two of their kids come to primary. The 6 yr old girl loves to sit next to me. She does that during Sacrement meeting also or comes up right after and grabs my hand to go to Primary. Then we took them back to their hotel, and went off to our apartment for the night.
On Saturday after several changes in plans for the late morning hours, we tried to visit with Ajai's family, but only his mother was at home, we then went to Sister Ezra's an had a good visit, her living situation is improving each time we visit with her. Elder told her if she will find out how much 4 hens and a rooster will cost, he would help her get them and 4 months worth of food and any medication they normally use for keeping healthy chickens, but in return she is to commit that as she is successful in doing this after about a year or so she will each 6 months, help another member of the branch who wants to also have some chickens get established in raising them, by training, and providing a few young chickens. We then went back to the church at 3 so an interview could be conducted for some of the changes in the branch. At 4pm we had a baptism for Dhani, who is Elder Panjaitan's cousin. I then went to the grocery store, to buy the ingredients to make Lasagna, since while we were visiting their Rio the inactive son, he asked if I knew how to make lasagna and when I said yes he asked if I would teach him how to make it (he works as a chef at a local Chinese restaurant that also does some western food). When he made that request Elder suggested, we could do that, and we could do it at 4 pm Sunday if he were willing to come to church, and he accepted the offer. After English was over (the young missionaries got to teach it today) since we were all over the place today and all of the associated visiting that takes place afterwards, we left the church to go get some dinner. I actually taught 1 keyboard lesson during that time also. Pres. Donald took all of the missionaries out to eat at Dr. Koffee.
Sister Ezra's new house. We took Pres. Donald and Pres. Kusumarmanto to visit. You wouldn't believe all that she has been through just since we have been here and she is still strong in the gospel.
Dhani before his baptism with Elders Martoyo, Tucker, Wills, and Hendro
Today there were alot of changes made and there will be more next week. Pres. Rico and his counselors were released. They put in Pres. Yosep as the new Branch President. He is almost 27 but he is a return missionary and was living with his family in Jakarta before they moved here. They are the family we are going to the Manila temple with the beginning of June so his wife can go through and the family can be sealed. Pres. Sinaga is his only counselor right now. He was the Elders quorum Pres. I was released as Primary Pres. and put in as 1st counselor and they called Sister Susana as the President and Catherine Hutapea as 2nd counselor. With little training and guidance I think they will get the hang of how things should work and it will be good for the branch. The Relief Society had their birthday activity after church. They had a short program and then a puding contest. Sister Hasibuan, Sister Mintono, myself and Sister Teng were the judges. We had to taste it all. I then did 4 keyboard lessons. We went home and got ready for Mei and Rio to come over and make lasagna. Then we did a short Temple Preparation class for Mei and Sari.
I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve Heavenly Father here in Indonesia. I love the people and especially the members of the Branch here in Medan. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for all of my many blessings. Too many to even count. It is such a privilege to watch the members here grow in the Gospel. Especially to see these young people prepare and go on missions to also serve their Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for my family. I miss them terribly but I also know this is where I am supposed to be right now. I love the gospel and am grateful for it in my life. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and that Thomas S. Monson is a living Prophet. I can't wait until conference in a few weeks to be able to listen to all of the counsel that will be given. I know that as Senior Missionaries we can make a big difference in people's lives. You are so needed. It may seem like a big sacrifice but we have found that the blessings to us and our families is so worth what sacrifices we have made. We love you all and appericate your support.
The Relief Society with some missing. We probably had 25 to 30 sisters there.
The pudings we were judging.
Another picture. We judges by colors, presentation and taste.
Finn praying before he eats his lunch while he waits for his mom, Sister Susana
Rio and Mei with the Lasagna after it came out of the oven. Make it here without italian sausage and ricotta because we can't find usually. Still tastes pretty good.













No comments:
Post a Comment