Sunday, June 15, 2014

Minngu 40

Monday Elder Tucker took the young missionaries to Bukit Lewan or as I like to call it the Orangatang Jungle.  I did not go as last time I was in lots of pain by the end with my bad back. They were able to get one of the same guides we had before.  I stayed home and did laundry, etc. and enjoyed some quiet time.  When Elder Tucker got home we went to the resturant next to our apartment.
 Everyone in the jungle
 Our missionaries are awesome.  Even in the jungle our missionaries take time out to talk about the gospel and share pass along cards with those they meet.  With our fearless District leader leading the way.
Elder Tucker decided to climb this tree part way.  It is growing on the side of a mountain so if you went to the top you could see almost forever.  It is very tall as you can imagine from the size of the trunk.
The rest of the week was pretty normal.  Wednesday we let Sister Zabriskie us my computer at the church to work on one of the assignments on family history, for new missionaries.  We then went out with the Sisters to a couple of appointments.  Some of them were not home so we didn't have as many as we had planned.
Thursday Elder had Presidency meeting at President Rico's fathers office which is next door to his and his wife's dental office.  I waited in another room while the met.  We then went to the church for a little while.  I am speaking in Church on the 22nd so I have been working on that.  I emailed our tutor with a few paragraphs that I had translated myself and using google translate.  When we met for our last meeting on friday he helped me with them.  We will see how it goes next week. After District meeting on friday and lunch we went with out with the Sisters to see if a member was still in town.  She has been telling us for months that she is going back to Malaysia to work.  Her father said she was in Malaysia but she was moving home next month to work here.  We will check again next month.
Saturday we stopped by Pres. Rico's office to pick up the CPU that the church offices in Jakarta sent us to replace the one that was stolen.  We were really hoping for a laptop that we could just remove from the building each week but oh well.  He had also bought a new monitor, TV and projector to replace the ones stolen.  We have not left the TV or projector at the church yet, until we can make it more secure.  We then had English class.  We are using a new 16 week program that Sister Gong in Hong Kong put together.  It has been hard because it is written for intermediate level English speakers and here the commitment level to come every week is not always high.  We do have about 10 who are there most of the time.  But we do get new students just about every week.  If they all showed up we would have about 33 students and that is way to many.  We are learning from this and will make some changes next class.  After class we met with Ali and his family and one set of Elders.  Ali's wife had been told about a month and a half ago that she had cancer.  They were really upset about this as we met one day for a lesson.  They talked to Pres. Rico and he told them to get a second opinion.  I have been told here that you should always get a second opinion.  So I hadn't heard much else about it but I had heard she had started treatments.  So, anyway when they came to class today they just blurted out that the cancer was gone and it was a miracle and it helped because we had been praying for them and we were such great friends for listening to them and praying for them.  We are so happy for them.  We finally got English Books of Mormon for them and a waiting for a Persian Book of Mormon to come.  It will help with their understanding of what is being taught.  They were so happy that today they brought these cookie type things filled with dates to church for everyone after church.  They gave Elder Tucker and I our own little container of them to take home.  They were very good.
When we got home Saturday night we skyped with our granddaughter Shelby as it was her 8th birthday and she was being baptized that morning.  12 hour time difference. We are happy for our grand children that have made the decision to be baptized.  We love our family so much.
Shelby with the scriptures we gave her for her baptism and in the dress I made before we left from parts of Erin's wedding dress for all of her girls to wear on their baptism day.
Happy Fathers day to all of the wonderful fathers out there.

No comments: